Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Greetings from Hanover!

So yesterday we did a 24 mile day straight into Hanover, NH. The fact that we did a 24 mile day indicates that we are finally out of the really strenuous mountains of Maine and New Hampshire, and we are finally into the more rolling, gentle hills that make up a lot of the trail. It also feels really good to have my first big mile day under my belt. It's a real confidence booster to know that I can hike that far in one day.Of course the trail doesn't just become easy now. While the terrain might not be as tough from here on out, the true challenge becomes a mental one,as the trail will play mind games with me over the next 1,700 miles.

Being in Hanover, I have never felt more like a homeless person/general dreg of society. The trail literally goes right down the street in the middle of town here, so you would think the people would be used to us smelly hikers with our packs coming through, but it doesn't appear that way. Odd looks and mumbling as we go by is just degrading. However, it is quite alright, because I know how bad I smell and I don't really care how weird people want to look at me! It is a weird feeling none the less.

Anyways, I don't know when our next stop will be, but I will keep you all posted as best I can. I hope everyone is doing well! If you need to get in touch with me, you can always send me an email, a facebook message, or a voice mail, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible! Much love folks!

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised that people look at you weirdly as well. Seems like they would be used to hikers? Keep up the hard work Mike. You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete