Thursday, December 16, 2010

The End Has Come



FIrst off, I apologize that I pretty much completely dropped the ball on this blog after Damascus. I did have chances to update, but simply just got lazy. I will do the best I can to sum up our last few weeks on the trail right now.

From Damascus, we had to push hard in order to get to Hot Springs on time for Thanksgiving with the family! The miles were tough and the days were long, but we managed to get past Erwin, TN before we schemed a new plan that was much better than doing 26 miles into Hot Springs the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Tuesday was a miserable weather day, cold and rainy, and as we sought cover under an interstate overpass like a regular bunch of homeless guys (which we basically were anyways), we realized there was a better way. I called my mommy, as my family was arriving in Asheville that afternoon. The family came and picked us up 8 miles further down the trail, giving us a night in a warm, dry house rather than a cold, damp shelter. It was GREAT being able to see the family. We had a terrific time at Thanksgiving, eating and enjoying the company of family. We also slack packed 2 days, taking us the final 34 miles into Hot Springs. The weekend was capped off wonderfully with a Florida State win over Florida. Sunday, we returned to the trail, which was difficult.

From Hot Springs we just had 2 weeks left on the trail. They would prove to be 2 extremely difficult weeks, as the weather came to bear down on us pretty hard. In the last 2 weeks we walked in the snow about 7 days. It wasn't just snowy, it was absolutely frigid! In the Smokies and even after the Smokies, we walked several days in sub 20 degree temperatures. Our beards were often frozen, and nights were so cold, we were no longer warm in our sleeping bags whatsoever. We found ways to stay in towns and hostels as much as we could in that final week, because we were just not equipped for weather that cold.

Finally, on December 12, we walked our final 20 miles on the trail. It was a snowy and very, very cold. We were on top of Springer by 5 that night. Conditions were not ideal for getting off the mountain, and we ended up getting extremely lucky. Addison and I had talked to a man at a hostel who would try to come up Springer to pick us up. However, the access road was so icy, the guy couldn't make it. We ended up getting a ride down the mountain from a few good ole Georgia boys who were joy riding the access roads in the their 4x4 Jeeps! Stoker, Baby Face, and a new friend, Lone Ranger, were extremely lucky for this, as they had slack packed to Springer and had none of their gear to keep warm. We got down off the mountain to a Dollar General in Elijay, GA, where our fallen companion Wolfman came and picked us up. It was an odd end to such an amazing journey.

I'm home now, and it is great to be back with family. Things are definitely a little strange feeling. It's odd having more possessions than just what fits into my pack! A room full of stuff is very overwhelming. I know that the full effects of our journey have not sunk in yet. I am excited to keep learning from it, and discovering things about myself that I did not realize before.

Thank you so much for all of the support! I couldn't have done this without the people who were behind me the whole way. Here are some pictures from the end, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment