Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hello Again

Hey Everybody,

Well we are now almost all of the way through the infamous White Mountains of New Hampshire. NOBOs (that's trail talk for northbounders) warned us all throughout Maine about how tough and challenging the Whites would be, but honestly, they weren't bad at all. At this point I have climbed so many mountains that they just don't even phase me anymore. The terrain has been absolutely beautiful though. The ridges between Mt. Madison and Mt. Washington, as well as the Franconia Ridge were all incredibly beautiful places, and we were blessed to have great weather during our time here, as the Whites are known for their unpredictable and generally crappy weather.

I had my first bout of sickness on the trail a few days ago, which was very frustrating. After walking 2.7 miles I decided to stop for the day because I was throwing up and couldn't eat. It was good to get a lot of rest, but even better when I was able to go the 10 miles into town the next day.

At this stage, I have lost 40 pounds, which is mind boggling to me. I had to get a size medium pair of shorts because my larges wouldn't stay on under the weight of my pack! Also, my trail name is now Tail End, because I am the slow one in the group. Our next stop looks to be Hanover, NH, right before the Vermont border.

Thanks again for all of your support!

Tail End

3 comments:

  1. Mike! Glad to see your hike is going great! I just finished doing 45 miles of the AT in Southwestern Virginia. Let me tell you, you're going to love it! There is this cool mountain called Pine Mountain on the Trail there, but once you hike up it, the view is absolutely amazing. They have the top of the mountain cleared for grazing and you can see all the mountains in the area from Mt. Rogers (tallest peak in Virginia), all the way to WhiteTop. It's simply beautiful. Once you get past Pine Mountain, your next 30 or so miles are full of open fields with minimal forest hiking. In that part of the hike you get to hike Wilburn Ridge and then continue on to Whitetop, where near the top, it's cleared and you can see almost everything! You're in for a treat when you get to this area!

    I might be going back for a weekend hike in the same area in about a month (Labor Day weekend), who knows, I might see you there. Only God knows!!

    Have fun and enjoy God's outstanding beauty!

    -Wright

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about time you tell your blog readers your trail name!! Your mom and I loved looking at your pictures! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete