Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Maine - CHECK!

So I know it has been quite awhile since I updated the old blog here, and I apologize for that. However, this should be a long and hopefully somewhat entertaining post. We are now in Gorham, NH taking a 0 day before we get into the White Mountains, some of the most difficult terrain on the trail. We came out of Maine 2 days ago, and wow, that was a really incredible feeling. Maine is 281.4 miles on the AT, and that's no joy ride either. So to recap my adventure so far, I'm going to share a few things that I have learned.

1) The distance 1.3 miles is very tricky. At the end of a long day, you see a sign that says 1.3 miles to your destination. Your heart goes starts racing and your pace quickens (at least it feels like it does). But after awhile, you think to yourself, "Wow, I really should be there by now." A few more minutes go by, and a slight panic comes over you. "Did I miss the shelter? Ok really, where is this thing?!" Shortly after this panic, you finally see the sign that you have arrived to camp for the night, and that last easy 1.3 miles becomes the longest of the day.

2) In Maine, if you think you are on top of a mountain, but there is no sign indicating you are in fact on top of the mountain, you are in for a big disappointment. False summits abound in Maine, and they can really trick you into believing you have gone farther than you actually went.

3) Clothing does not dry in Maine, unless you are at the laundromat. It hits dewpoint every night in Maine, so when you hang your sweaty clothes up for the night, they will still be just as damp in the morning, if not wetter.

4) Town days save your sanity. As much as I love being on the trail in the wilderness, going into town is a life saver. Not only can you do laundry and shower, you get to eat real, mostly fattening, food. You also get to drink something other than water. I love going into town and getting chocolate milk and Gatorade. And the only way not to get malnourished on the trail is to gorge in town. I have already lost 25 pounds, so when I get into town, I pack the food in!

5) Your body is capable of amazing things. It really is incredible how far you can push yourself out here. If you eat right and rest just enough, you can do a lot more than you think. Your body is working so hard during the days hiking, that even when you are in town relaxing, your heart is racing! And you actually get more sore when you stop, because your body finally has a chance to catch up and heal itself. It's a great feeling, sometimes.

6) Trekking poles save lives. There have been countless times that I would have face planted on granite if I didn't have my poles with me. At the same time, I have almost fallen off mountains tripping on them...

7) Every day brings new challenges, and new rewards. Even when you feel like you are going to be good, and you are ready for anything, you will probably get kicked in the teeth the next day. At the same time, each day brings something beautiful, whether it's a mountain view, or a nice swim in a lake, the rewards of the trail are truly special.

8) The people who run hostels (most of the time) are really incredibly people. When we stayed in Monson, the owner of the hostel let us take her car to grocery shop, and even left a car at the trail head for us to bring into town. There are a lot of people out there who devote a lot of time to helping hikers have the best experience they can have.

Finally, I'll do a little introduction of my trail buddies.

Addison, aka Reset, some of you may know. He is the fastest hiker ever, and I hate him for it.

Dread, the meanest and scariest person on the trail. We keep him around to scare off day hikers and north bounders. He has a zoology degree, so he is also our resident animal expert.

Plug is an ultralight hiker from the Texas. He is also an incredibly faster hiker.

Full Value is the biggest character of us all. A 41 year old who just sold off his own business and house to come hike the trail. He has been in the Peace Corp, worked as a commercial fishermen in Alaska, has his masters in Napoleonic Studies, and worked in the rodeo business.

Well that's all I have for now. Hope this has been a good post for you all, and thanks for the support everybody!

6 comments:

  1. Great post Mike! I hope all is going well for you. If you let us know your next planned stop I will try to get you a note. Keep heading south baby! Uncle Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update Mike! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe you can cross Maine off the list already!! Keeping walking closer to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Dooper! Thanks for letting us have an idea of trail life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike,
    This is incredible. I wish everyone could see and experience what you are, just once in their lives. I know I wish I could but I will let you do the work and tell me all about it...... Oh, congratulations on your engagement. From what I have seen on Facebook she seems like a wonderful person.
    Be safe and we will see you at Thanksgiving. Keep up the blog. Love you, Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete